The Institute has a well equipped library which can cater to the needs of student /research workers/ professionals. The volumes can be classified into following categories :
- Publications of Geological Survey of India ( Memories, Records, Special Publications )
- 'Transactions' of the Institute ( all issues published since 1906 ). 'Bibliography' 1906-2000 has been prepared.
- Journals and Occasional publications received from different countries ( Poland, South Africa, USA, Japan, Denmark, Australia, Italy, erstwhile USSR Canada, Arabian Countries etc. ) - which are received on "Exchange Basis".
- Bulletins/ Handbooks of Manufacturing companies from India and abroad.
- Documents of Government of India Committee.
- Books /Bound volume of old journals donated by members.
- Copies of 'Newsletters' ( since 1976 ).
- Proceedings/ Recommendation volumes of all National and International Seminars organized by the Institute since its inception.
- International Seminars organized by the Institute since its inception.
- Maps of different scales from different parts of our country and also from other countries.